April 10, 2013

A moment to sit and think

I haven't written in forever because I've been consumed with a huge project at work and adjusting to the time crunch of being a newish mom. I've often had fleeting thoughts of things I want to write about while riding on the bus to work or rushing to do an errand but then faced the reality that I really don't have the time. Sleep, laundry, and "The Good Wife" on demand have become the priorities in my downtime.

Now that project is over and I have more time -- about 1 hour and 45 minutes to be exact because Owen just went down for his morning nap after a breakfast of cheddar cheese wedges, oatmeal with applesauce and a significant amount of whining and rubbing the cereal all over his face because he was tired.

When I get these small breaks, my mind often runs through my To Do list, trying to figure out which thing I want to do. Should I clean up the mess in the kitchen? Take the clothes that Owen has outgrown down to the storage unit? Watch that documentary on Islam that a friend sent? Read the first chapter of that book I've been trying to get into for the third time? Or just sit on the couch and listen to the rain?

It's a new feeling, having so little free time. Owen is at the stage when all he wants is mama and whenever I put him down and try to, I don't know, put on underwear or apply mascara, I feel his little hands tugging at the bottom of my pajamas, trying to climb up my leg. He's 23 1/2 pounds now and no small package to carry around. It's sweet the way he lunges for me whenever someone else is holding him. I love his baby soft skin and deep brown eyes that light up when he smiles. He loves to yank at my earrings, tug at my hair and gets a studious look on his face, brow furrowed, as he picks at the buttons or snaps on my shirt as I hold him in my arms.

My little time crunch
It's also a bit overwhelming to be needed so much. I've been warned that it's fleeting, so I try to embrace it rather than resist, because I know he is a little person with fragile emotions and natural needs and I want him to feel safe and embraced.

One of my sisters-in-law often talks about whenever she and her two sisters would beg their mom to play with them, she always said she was too busy cleaning the house. I totally know that feeling of wanting to feel some semblance of control over my life by keeping the carpets vacuumed and the bathroom mirrors clean. When I walk into the living room in the mornings, bleary eyed and stumbling toward coffee, I step over a roomful of wooden trains, assorted balls, scattered board books and plastic building blocks.

I've asked Dave, who gets up with Owen every morning at 6 a.m. so I can get a few more hours of sleep, to only dump one bin of Owen's toys onto the floor instead of two, because I just can't take the clutter. It's a joke, really. Because when you have a child, your life (and living room floor) really isn't your own in both a deep, satisfying, "this is what I'm meant to be doing," but also an impatient, tapped out, "please go to sleep now so I can watch Mad Men" kind of way.  

The other day I was telling a friend how stressed I've been feeling juggling work and Owen. I summed it up by saying, "It's the typical working mom, work-life balance struggle." She responded by saying "Just because it's typical doesn't mean it's not hard."

That helped me give myself a break because just because thousands of other women are experiencing the same sense of disorder that I do every day, doesn't mean it's any easier for me. Sure, I'm not alone. But I can still take a deep breath and work in small things for myself, like steal away from work to get my nails done, sit and eat a sandwich without doing anything else but chew and sit on the couch like I'm doing now, reflecting on how I've been feeling.

Yesterday I signed up for an 8-week mindfulness based stress reduction class. Of course it has an acronym: MBSR. Every Saturday morning for two months I will enter a room with 20 other people to do relaxation exercises, meditate, twist into yoga poses and learn to be more present to every moment. When I did my intake interview with the psychologist who has been teaching the course for 18 years, he asked me three questions:

What is most important to you?
What brings you the greatest joy?
What are you most afraid of?

He told me to answer quickly without thinking, which I did. My answers:

My family.
Owen.
Recurrence of severe bouts of anxiety that I've suffered in the past.

He also asked me what I wanted to get out of the course. I told him two things: more space internally between something that happens and my reaction and greater vitality.

Since becoming pregnant more than a year and a half ago, I feel like I just haven't gotten back to my usual energy level and sense of ease in my body. During my pregnancy, I hardly exercised because I was so nauseous. Since my pregnancy, I've hardly exercised because I'm "too busy" and tired. Thus, I'm out of shape and most of the pants in my closet still don't fit. I refuse to buy news ones.

But waist size is not what this is really about. It's about that sense of well being I have after a lively Zumba or sweaty Bikram class.  These days, every time I turn around I'm catching Owen's flu or colds. Twice in the last 10 months since he's been born I've had laryngitis.

So yeah, becoming a parent has all kinds of adjustments. And with those changes, I have less drive, less energy, to just power through whatever task is before me. That's not always a bad thing, yet it does require becoming more patient and accepting of my limitations in a culture that is urging me: "Do, do, do."

Instead, I'm going the other direction. I'm going to take a class to learn to be, be, be. A coworker I told about the class asked me why I think I needed it and I said I just didn't want to look back on my life and realize I missed Owen growing up, forgot to nurture my marriage and carried around an extra 20 pounds because my mind was somewhere else.

I'm going to do my darndest to live more fully and to be more accepting of the times when I feel tapped and empty.  It's the least I can do today.

14 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I love your honesty, and struggle with these same challenges, and it IS hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. two things that jump out at me here--
    1) Absolutely--just because it's common doesn't mean it's not hard. The flip side of which is, just because it's commonly accepted as hardship and the practice of integrating solutions commonly ignored, that doesn't mean that you have to ignore it, too.

    2) I really liked this: "didn't want to look back on my life and realize I missed Owen growing up, forgot to nurture my marriage and carried around an extra 20 pounds because my life was somewhere else." The beauty of it is that it doesn't just have to apply to you looking back on your life; it works just as well looking back on last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like, like, like! This is a great post. Thanks for doing the work of being an excellent human being. We need as many of these as we can find in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so well written and candid. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah... *tears* of understanding. I still refuse to buy new clothes. The good part is, I've lost the wt of Eli, but still have 30lbs of Isa... as for the time to myself... I had gone about 3 years without... I'd sometimes take a date with Jason, I'd sometimes go to an outing with coworkers (rarely), and everyone around me always assumed, as I did, that being the extrovert I am - that I didn't need time alone. And just about 4 months ago, Jason joined a running group, and I was so acutely jealous - not in an aware way, in a feeling sick kind of way, and I realized that I wanted to badly, just to have time alone, time to read, or walk, or something that built upon myself by myself. Since I've stopped pumping (1 mo ago), I've been going on walks at least 2x a week at work lunch hour. When I come home (expecially since most of my work days are 10-14 hours) I can't take time for myself (so it feels) because any decision to not be with the kids feels horrible. And by the time they're in bed, i'm exhausted... So lunch 30-60 minutes have become my peace. When I have them (only about 2/3 of the year - all others are working lunches), I use them for me. Sometimes I go on a lunch date with Jason, sometimes lay in the grass staring at the sky, sometimes going for a walk, and my new craving is to start reading novels again...

    As for the floor - it got better when Isa turned 2, and then we had Eli... Because I know it will get better, I think I kind of don't care (though when I step on a sharp toy, I usually kick it so hard it hits an opposite wall it's so maddening, then I take a deep breath, and continue). I do feel that I'm just more exhausted, more of the time. I'm lucky if I can stay awake an hour after they go to sleep. I'm such a maniac when I haven't slept well, that I've been pretty rigorous about their sleep schedules, and thank god they both sleep about 10-12 hrs a night... I couldn't imagine being more tired!

    And the sicknesses slow down - i've only been sick once with Eli. The first is the hardest... or at least it was for me. The second one was more temperment-hard, but with some schedules in place, he's been great. Otherwise, the adjustment has been far easier, the tiredness not much changed! Part of me does think ahead to when they're 3 and 5, but then part of me just holds eli so so close because one day he wont let me, and knowing he's my last one (if i get to have my say), makes me hold on probably a little bit tighter.

    Hugs from here Laurie - and come visit some time, I always enjoy spending time with families where motherhood is shared in such an open true way. And we have a guest room - and a large floor for the kids to go crazy on. (plus wine so that we can relax ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking that I had not read you for a while and was wondering why. Now I know. Welcome back. It is always a pleasure to get your blog. Lots of love from London.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! I too relate to so much of what you write and really admire your courage and honesty. I'm planning to start blogging again too...good for you for making it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pregnancy and parenthood change your life forever, get used to it. Try to let your husband get sleep and you get up at 6 am to start your day with Owen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I became a mother 18 months ago, I know and remember well what new struggles a baby can bring. But I must be honest with you, you are very lucky you have a husband who is willing to get up with your baby EVERY morning. Why dont you consider this your 'alone time'? Think of all the women whose husbands are deployed overseas, doing EVERYTHING all on their own. Think of all the parents whose children are ill, who must spend countless hours in the hospital. I don't think they get much time to themselves. Most mothers consider a shower their alone time! Motherhood is hard in any circumstance, but I urge you to start focusing more on the positive in your life instead of the negative. Count your blessings and be grateful for all that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a working mother of three I think you need to redefine how you see "me" time. Try and look at simple everyday alone time as a time to decompress. sounds like you have a pretty great husband to let you sleep in everyday! Maybe instead of laying in bed go for a walk or just appreciate it for what it is: me time! Your commute: me time! Your lunch at work: me time! Your shower: me time! your not seeing the everyday blessings of "me time" that you already have. It doesnt have to be something fancy like a class or a manicure. Your putting way too much pressure on yourself to block a big chunk of time to do something for yourself and albeit feel guilty. It seems like you spend a lot of time and energy wondering when you can get away. (Speaking of energy you will never feel like you did pre-kids you just get used to having less energy!) who wants to spend all week away from their kids and then add another morning away? Your coming across as spoiled! I think when your friend said "just because its not typical doesn't mean it's not hard" she probably wanted to say "suck it up!" What did you think motherhood was? Checking in when its convenient for you? Babies aren't wondering if their nap schedules will work with yours. You need to adapt your life to theirs. I don't think you have gotten this memo. Being a mom, especially to a baby, means the occasional night out to get a couple hours but every week? And why do you even want to be away that much? I believe this is making you unrelatable. Your husband must have some major resentment brewing. I'm hoping you let him at least sleep in on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Sista!!!! Time to jump into reality for the rest of your life!

      Delete
  11. Wow, you hit some truth in this piece because these anonymous bitches up in here are flinging poo. Hard crowd.

    The older I get the more I recognize my need for kindness and connection on my own terms. If that makes me spoiled in somebody else's eyes then maybe they don't get it. That's okay. Doesn't mean they can take shots and label me.

    As a sufferer of anxiety and depression I know that decompressing is not the same for me as it might be for somebody else. I do less. I sleep more. I go to therapy and 12-step and I walk the dog and I cook a little.

    The class you found sounds great. I admire you for getting help. I always will.

    Shut the fuck up if you don't have something constructive. And if you are an adult who can hold your tongue for 2 seconds, imagine saying something like, *I don't really understand this piece and I'm angry* or some shit that expresses vulnerability. Dumb bitch.

    How do YOU like it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good grief! The bullies on my kids' playground have better manners than this band of Anonies. If only they didn't post anonymously, we could alert them to their opportunity to be part of the next big literati movement: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/issuecartoons/2013/04/15/cartoons_20130408#slide=7

    ReplyDelete